Monday, June 6, 2016

Summer of Culture

1. On a trip to Utah last weekend we got to celebrate Camille's birthday with fancy tacos at Oteo in Lindon and fancy ice cream at Taste in Provo. Look, I generally prefer cheap tacos and ice cream. In fact, once the price starts to go up on a taco you begin to wonder if people even know what a taco is. But these were gooooood. Even a great taco can be improved with a homemade tortilla. Okay, all of life is improved with a homemade tortilla. I should learn how to make them, right? But I'm not going to get a fancy taco press because I am opposed to kitchen tools that only do one job if that job can be done with a multi-purpose tool you already own. Avocado scooper/slicer? Junk, if you have a spoon and a knife.

2. Aside from Camille's birthday we were up in Utah for Tom's baptism.

This kid. There isn't a sweeter human being on the planet. He is loving and generous and funny.

3. Speaking of sweet kids, I went back to Upland last night to see the kids from my first seminary class graduate, to openly weep over them, and to refrain from bursting into an overly-dramatic rendition of Sunrise, Sunset. They're awesome. I mean, each and every one of them is just fantastic. I was pretty nervous to teach seminary and these kids made it (relatively) easy. Oh how I love them.

4. The summer of cultural events has begun. Don't you just love all the fun things that you do during the summer? Concerts and plays and outdoor movies. Winter Rachel is all, "Bed. Cocoa. Cozy nights in, please." But Summer Rachel is all, "Let's go out and be enriched in the sunshine and the cool evening breezes." Last week Katie, Lindsay, Susie and I went to see 42nd Street in Hollywood. I've seen it before but let me tell you, I would see it a million times because: tap dancing. It is packed with tap dancing. And there is nothing more joyful than 40 people tap dancing in sparkly outfits to Irving Berlin songs. If it comes your way you have to see it. Locals, it's playing at the Pantages for a few more weeks. Treat yo self.

5. And treat yo self to this picture of Ron Swanson and Prince Harry after a polo match with Prince William awkwardly waving in the background.


I wonder where polo ranks on the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness.

No comments: