Monday, June 20, 2016

"And I can't stand him."

Greetings from Satan's Broiler. It is HOT here. If I left out a pan of fruit puree in the morning I could have fruit leather when I got home from work. Every time I step outside my mind starts screeching, "We're all going to diiiiiiiiiieeeee!!!!!"  And I can feel all the water in my body leaving the extremities for my core to keep my vital organs working. On top of this our mountains are on fire. Which makes for a very cozy armageddon, don't you think. Sometimes California is all, "You think you can tame me. Well, think again, darlings!" And then we are forced to recall that we live in a desert wilderness that's prone to fires and floods and sits on top of a fault line. Hey, come visit! We'll have the air on.

Remember how I last wrote about going to see To Kill a Mockingbird at the Million Dollar Theater and how it was so hot I thought the sweat pooling up on my back was going to soak through my shirt and ruin the faux-leather seats? Well, Lindsay, Susie, and I went to the Theater at the Ace Hotel, another glorious old beauty in downtown, to watch Singing in the Rain and mercifully, it had air conditioning. I mean, I didn't need a sweater or anything but I also didn't require an IV of fluids to rehydrate after the show. And it is so gaudy I could cry. Gaudy in the best possible way. I think the designers came in and said, "I'm thinking King Triton meets Liberace. Let's just filigree the heck out of this thing and go from there!" For the record, if someone compared my decor to Liberace I would think it was the highest compliment.





Ariel? Is that you swimming by? Your dad's pretty mad. 

Fun fact: at one point during its lean years a church bought it. Can you imagine?! 

Before the movie none other than Gene Kelly's wife came out and told us some stories about the movie. Now, before you start wondering how they wheeled a hospital bed out onto the stage because of her advanced age, let me tell you that he was 77 when they married in 1990 ...and she was 31. Which means that she wasn't even alive when Singing in the Rain came out. No judgement. Gene Kelly oozes charisma.

Isn't Singing in the Rain just the best? Don't you feel so happy when you watch it? This is actually the second time I've seen it in a fancy theater. I watched it several years ago at the Egyptian in Hollywood (sadly lacking in excess filigree) and I've watched it a couple times at summer movies in the park. Watching it with a crowd is the best because it really increases my love for the human race when I hear people laughing at parts I laugh at.



via GIPHY

No comments: