Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Brooch Fortnight and other things

1.)  I would like for someone to please make me some chocolate chip cookies.  Thanks you.

2.)  A package came in the mail from Amanda the other day, wrapped in brown paper but no string.  She apologized for that.  It was a set of swively hula girls to keep Ruby St. Germaine company.  I'm afraid that they will only make her fall further into despair.  They are young and cute.  She has a piece of oatmeal stuck in her hair.

3.)  I was challenged at work to wear a different brooch every day this week.  Challenge accepted!  Today it was extended from Brooch Week to Brooch Fortnight.

4.)  The local classical music station is having their semi-annual pledge drive which ends on Friday and the DJ said, "Please contribute on this, the antepenultimate day of the drive."  And then I swooned.  That is a great word, my friends.

5.)  The book I'm reading now is such a drag.  And the book I read before that was too.  And the book before that.  What I'm saying is, somebody please help me!  I need you to recommend a book that KNOCKED YOUR SOCKS OFF. I'm not talking about an okay book.  I'm talking about the type of book that was so good when you finished it you hugged it and bought it mink stole.  I need a book worthy of fur!  And.....GO.

8 comments:

Mariah said...

Dang, I came looking for suggestions. Mine lately have all been so-so to bad. It's taking a lot of willpower but I've decided I'm not even going to finish the one I'm currently reading.

And are you photographing your brooches for a montage at the end?

Jenny said...

Shoot, this is making me feel guilty for not keeping my site up to date. Yikes. Can I just tell you one book that left me breathless? The Fault In Our Stars by John Green ate me alive. The only downside of recommendations is that it's no guarantee you will like it, but I'm willing to take that risk this time.

Stephanie said...

Since right now I am fully involved in the Book "How to teach your child about sex" - I haven't been reading a lot of fiction lately. But I was wondering if you have read the Mitford series by Jan Karon. It may not be exciting, but it's some of the sweetest writing ever - emphasis on sweet. That, and "Mama makes up her mind" by Bailey White, make me miss the south and the amazing people there.

Wendy said...

Have you read Charms for the Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons? Buying fur is a high standard...but it was good.

Rach said...

I haven't read anything that really knocked my socks off. I just finished "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley, which you might enjoy. I reviewed it on my blog a few days ago, so you can decide for yourself if it's worth your time. Our book group is reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Molton, and I haven't started it yet, but I've heard it's great. I'm glad Jenny commented, because now I have another book to add to my list. Good luck on all that.

I will make you fresh chocolate chip cookies every day if you come visit me. They are really good.

I love that you have a ton of brooches. I want pictures.

Antepenultimate really is a fantastic word. I will be attempting to use it at some point today.

That's all.

aprilaleman said...

I just finished 2 absolutely fantastic books. Both are true stories and are enough to knock your socks off... literally, my went flying off in the middle of my read. It was quite crazy. Anyway, without further ado:

1. Left To Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust

So good, and heart wrenching but inspiring and uplifting

2. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

This may be one of my favorite books of all time. It is awesome!!!!!!! It's also been passed around my entire family and we all equally loved it, so it comes recommended by like 7 people here.

Ms. Liz said...

Please read "Name of the Wind". PLEASE??! I need to talk to you about it. The names are ridiculous but the writing is flawless.

sarahgurl said...

Unbroken is a must read! I cried uncontrollably in a few spots