Monday, July 28, 2008

Jazz Hands

The differences between the last dance festival (jazz hands)* I went to and Saturday night's dance festival are:

1.) I did not have a broken arm this time around
2.) I went in a limo the first time (not because of my broken arm. I wasn't that pathetic.)
3.) I don't think I had nearly as much hearing loss as I did this weekend

Does anyone else remember the last dance festival at the Rose Bowl - um maybe it was 1985? Do they even have dance festivals outside of California? They haven't had one here in years but they've gotten rid of all those things in the church, haven't they. Whenever my parents talk about the Golden Age of Culture in the Church, when they had things like Gold and Green Balls and quartet festivals and speech festivals and road shows (do NOT bring up road shows with my parents because there are still some very bitter feelings between them on this subject) it makes me so grateful that I was not a ward activities chairman back then. I would have turned Catholic for sure.

Anyway, someone came up with the idea to resurrect it and I've been hearing all about it from Katie and Mom, both of whom work with the youth, and while it has not sounded like much of a picnic these passed 6 months leading up to it, it turned out to be a pretty great show. Mostly because there is nothing better than 12 and 13 year old boys and girls. Kids are hilarious at that age, don't you think? They're so goofy and awkward and they have zero volume control. And you should see them dance. Hilarious. And so cute. I wanted to take all of them home with me.

The kids helped contribute to the hearing loss but it was mostly the fireworks. On Friday I was a chaperon and watched part of the show from a field next to the stadium, or, as the fire-marshall liked to call it, the Place Where They Were Launching the Fireworks. I have to say that I really love fireworks, and watching them explode directly over my head was awesome, but I've been partially deaf ever since. I wonder if they sell ear horns on eBay.

*For six months now I have not been able to say dance festival without either imagining myself doing jazz hands, or, when appropriate, actually doing jazz hands. Sadly, Sunday's at the organ never did seem like the right time.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

what this i hear about an Olympics party?

Andrea said...

I remember going to the Dance Festival of '85 at the Rose Bowl. I was with my family this weekend and we were reminiscing (well actually my dad was saying that he was glad to conveniently be out of town during the dance festival). That's when it came out that my brother-in-law was in the one in '85. He did the Latin number and had a colorful silky shirt with rumba sleeves and everything. Oh, he's never going to hear the end of it from me! They even broadcasted the festival on local TV and we taped it. I'll have to find that video and play "Where's Waldo" and see if I can spot him!

Anonymous said...

Was this the festival out in Redlands? My niece danced in it:) She was one of the girls in the blue dresses. Yes... one of the 8000. Did you see her???