Monday, November 15, 2010

Couldn't they just get lamb chops instead?

Happy Eid al-Adha everyone!  You know how Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son Isaac and he was all ready to do it and how at the last minute he didn't have to and instead sacrificed a sheep?  Muslims commemorate that act of obedience by sacrificing a sheep.  Tomorrow.  So all of Tunisia (98% Muslim) is up to its eyeballs in sheep.  There are sheep tied up in yards and men haggling for them with local shepards.  Today on our walk we passed by Mr. Across the Street as he was getting out of his car, he had his truck popped open and what was inside?  A sheep.  I certainly respect this holiday, it's an excellent thing to remember and celebrate.  But in my mind I'm going to believe that all of these sheep I've seen lately are all pets.  Pets with warm beds and lots of hay to eat.  Pets who will be released back into some wide open field in a few days after their owners realize how unrealistic it is to keep a sheep in the house.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it is a nice thought..is it bad that I immediately had lots of questions about this.. is will you hear lots of, shall we say, sheep screaming (do sheep scream??) at a certain time of day?? is it all done at the same time? is it a party or reverent?? I mean are there parades or lots of praying or both??? I find it facanating but now I feel a little weird.. maybe i'll just delete and look it up on the web.. naaa! when will I ever have someone I know be where this is happening again??

you don't have to answer I know it's weird!

Rach said...

I had Tongan neighbors when I was little. They had a pet pig for a while, and we named it and fed it grass and other junk, and then one day there were delicious aromas coming from their backyard. It was a shock to find out that the deliciousness they shared with us was that cute pet pig. But it was tasty. I'm guessing it is a lot like that for the kids in the neighborhoods in Tunisia. And for the non-sheep killing folk like yourself.

Wendy said...

Go to Romania (or lots of other places I'm sure) at Easter time and it is the same story with lambs. Nothing like seeing a whole lamb - skinned, but everything else still in tact (including eyeballs)- in someone's fridge. Especially when you know that you are going to be served that entire lamb (including eyeballs)in a matter of days.

Bronwyn James said...

The Muslim ancestor is actually Ishmael and the Quran tells the story with him instead of Isaac. Just an interesting tidbit for your Tunis tuition dollar.

Mage said...

Actually the slaughter of those unlucky animals goes to good benefits. It is said that people who can afford to buy a sheep is intended to share a third for its relatives, another third for the poor and what remains for the family to feast and offer to guest.

buy ff14 gils