Camille, Katie and I went over to the Appels last night to eat tacos and watch the Olympics. Tacos AND the Olympics? This is clearly a match made in heaven.
1. What can we do about Bob Costas' eyes? He's a national treasure and we need him back in his ice palace gently mocking things. If only to save us from Matt Lauer. Ugh! There is not a single more insufferable human being on the planet than Matt Lauer and if Bob's eye business keeps up then we'll have to endure several nights of watching Matt cross his legs and slouch. I can't handle it. Who would like to join me in a candlelight vigil?
2. Is Alex Bilodeau your new favorite olympian? Because he sure is mine. First his mogul run last night was amazing. He totally smuckered that last trick! (Did I use is correctly? Valerie came up with a suitable explanation for it: he stuck the landing, with jam. Although when was the last time you got stuck with jam?) And second, there is nothing better than a heart-warming brother story. He seems like a totally gracious and talented kid.
3. Heartbreak City: in the final race of a speed skating competition last night this guy crossed the finish line, looked up and saw that he was first. And the look on his face was shock and total joy. And then 10 seconds later the scoreboard changed and showed that there was a timing error and he got second place by 1/100th of a second. Cut back to him in tears. Devastating!
4. Here's the reason why all those cross-country skiers collapse at the end of the race. And you thought they were just tired. It's science!
5. In the spirit of canoe dancing, here's ski ballet, which was an exhibition sport in the 1988 and 1992 Olympics. Let's bring this back!!!!