Thursday, September 4, 2008

Shhhh!

Dear Rachel,

That warning voice, the one you hear in your head every time you are about to say something that will get you into a sticky sitch, the one that comes with sirens and flashing lights and railroad crossing gates coming down and little green army men screaming orders at you, it's there for a reason. It is yelling at you because it knows that the reason why you don't talk about politics with people who do like politics in general and their political party specifically is because those people generally have very distinct ideas about politics and they're not exactly willing to hear your side of the story or really even give you a fair and unbiased reason to listen to theirs.

So please stop talking.

Do not get into it with a person who's views make you look like a tree-hugging, granola-munching, paper-recycling, hairy-legged liberal (in a bad way). Even though you do love trees and you had granola for breakfast and you have been known to recycle and you didn't have time to shave your legs this morning but you're wearing pants so it's no biggie, you're conservative enough to recognize that when someone essentially calls you that, it's meant as an insult.

And do not take it personally that you are called an ignorant sexist when you remarked that it was your personal belief that when a woman decides to have 5 children her first priority should be with them and that possibly having the second highest office in the nation may be a little too distracting, even though you were clear that it had no bearing on her credibility as a leader, or her right to seek after that office, nor would it sway you in choosing whom to vote for. Because you haven't made your decision yet and you were just stating your own personal feelings on the matter, which, let's face it, was a HUGE mistake.

And do not think less of a person for comparing a presidential candidate to Hitler and saying that he associates with "terrorists and Muslims." Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even bigoted.

Just be kind to people and laugh at their foibles because you have plenty of them too, and we all know how very opinionated you are and how somes times you can be too bold. But most importantly keep your mind open and your mouth shut. Especially your mouth shut.

Hugs and Kisses from Your Pal,
Rachel

11 comments:

Heath'e' said...

Sounds like a fun conversation! (note sarcasm!) Those are never fun.

Tammy said...

I do know what you are talking about! It is even worst when it is a member of your family you're having one of those conversations!

Liz the Poet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz the Poet said...

And this is why I have my policy of never, NEVER talking about politics with anyone--be them freind or foe!

I don't do it. Period.

(Even though I find politics fascinating and listen, read, and watch political stuff all the time.)

I just talk about it with Heavenly Father, and I think He agrees with me. ;-)

Liz the Poet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz the Poet said...

Oh, and the deleted comment was from me. I had a typo in my original one, and that irritates me to no end.

I'm just mentioning it so you don't think it was some angry "You stink" comment. It wasn't.

Liz the Poet said...

Okay, so both deleted comments were from me. I really need to proof read.

Sorry Rachel.

Rach said...

Thanks for that. I feel the same way, and not just about how annoying it is that when you decide to mention something to someone, they spout and spout and spout and never listen to you or even to themselves. I also think it's strange to run as VP with a tiny little Down Syndrome baby and 4 other kids. She is sending quite a mixed message about her role as a mother. Anyway, I think you're great, and you can tell me what you think, because I'm still trying to figure out what I think, and I like to hear other people's opinions. I have learned who not to talk to about politics, however.

Silvestre Family said...

Being the daughter of a hard core conservative and the daughter-in-law of a hard core liberal (who by the way are never quiet about their view on things), i often find myself in the same situation. Never fun!

Valerie said...

Okay, as I see it, there is an important distinction between people who like to talk politics and people who like to discuss politics. People who like to talk politics do just that, they talk, while everyone else (read: you) dutifully listen. People who like to discuss are interested in a fair exchange.

I find it useful to discover which brand of person you're in conversation with.

I, for example, like to talk politics.

colleeeen said...

oh Rachel, that's nothing. at least you didn't send an email to half your ward (and your stake president) outing yourself as a flaming liberal. i keep waiting to be released from Primary as a result, but it hasn't happened yet. curses!