Sunday, September 5, 2010

I remembered my camera

(I should put the disclaimer in that my spell check has gone all Arabic on me. Meaing that it thinks every word is wrong. I don't quite feel like figuring out how to fix it. Rejoice in my spelling errors!)

I remembered my camera! And now you will pay for having asked. Because I have a lot of pictures.

Starting with: the street we live on! (See, this is what happens when I take pictures. You get street shots.)



There are gorgeous homes here and they're all walled in but the streets are a little trashy. Literally.

The house has a roof deck with some nice views. Here's a nearby mosque. I heard the call to prayer from it last night.



And here's some fancy building. I'm sure I'll find out what it is soon enough.



Chris called Tunis the Club Med of Africa. It's a big tourist spot. One of the more touristy places is Sidi Bou Said. I haven't been up there yet but I walked along the marina this afternoon. There were a bunch of kids jumping off the dock right at the entrance of the marina. They would dodge luxury yachts coming and going. Let's try this at Newport!




Hey there Wealthy Benefactor!

I wish I could get a picture that does the color of the sea justice. It's way more turqouise then it looks here.
All the houses in the town look like this: white with blue trim. It's adorable.




Greetings from Laguna Beach!
It warms my heart a little how much the cliffs look just like back home.
And now for some random pictures.
Guess the candy bar:




It tasted slightly different but it satisfied.
Here's a toilet in the Paris airport.

At this point on my journey I had been awake for 18 days and had just walked 20 miles to my gate and people kept speaking French to me and I may or may not have been slightly delusional. This pink toilet killed me. I couldn't stop giggling over it. I said to the lady next to me, "Pink! Because we're GIRLS!" She just smiled and nodded. I'm hoping it was because she didn't understand and not because I was on the verge of losing it.
And finally, after the pink toilet I wandered around and around searching for gate 41. The signs kept saying that it should be there but all I could see were gates 29-40. So I asked someone and they pointed me in the direction of some stairs. I schlepped down them and found gate 41, which was actually a door leading outside to a shuttle bus which drove us across the airport to our airplane. Imagine you have been traveling for 22 hours and you have a 20 pound backpack strapped to your shoulders and you're on a shuttle bus speeding across the tarmac and the only thing that is keeping you from toppling over is a strap from the ceiling and 15 Frenchmen in fancy suits and purple socks (seriously, if these guys were any indication, the French are in love with their purple socks) who smell like ashtrays and are crammed all around you invading your personal space. Rough, right? So imagine how nice it was to get into the plane and see the sunrise.


The chocolate croissant and yogurt they served after take off where also much appreciated.

8 comments:

colleeeen said...

Now I want a croissant. And it's fast Sunday. I think I'll curse a little.

Ginger said...

Thank you for the pictures. It gives me more of a sense of where you are. I NEED VISUALS.

I recognized the candy bar just by the color of wrapper. The pink toilet was the best! You've got to hand it to the french to come up with that one.

The Katzbox said...

These are excellent. Keep 'em coming. I loved the white buildings with the blue trims, and the pink toilet?...don't get me started...

Thank you so much for posting these. You are brave to travel so far and then to post about it...I love your perspective.

Hugs.

abby or mama said...

You make it! The town looks beautiful! -and the pink toilet is awesome, thanks for the pics!

Amanda said...

I was convinced that the candy bar was Dove. Now I need to run out and get some chocolate. Thank you for posting pictures. Katie and I were lamenting about your lack of pictures the other day. Happy Labor Day! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the pink toilet and purple socks! And FINALLY! My Snickers expertise comes in handy somewhere!! I knew it the moment I saw it.

Tammy said...

yea I am so happy for the pictures !

Rach said...

I think I could actually smell the snickers through the computer. And I want one right now. I think I'm going to start shopping tomorrow for a pink toilet for my boy-filled house. Also, I want to come visit you in Tunis now. The pictures are fantastic.