Thursday, January 27, 2011

A new set of gym rats.

I let my membership at the Old Lady Gym run out while I was away.  And when I came back I didn't have any money to re-up.  I made half-hearted attempts at exercise on my own - like brisk strolls around my complex and doing arm-toning exercises I found online - but let's get real - with my pajamas and couch in such close proximity, that wasn't going to work.  So I found a really cheap gym in the area (Thanks, Taryn!  I mentioned your name.) and signed up after work today and came home and put on my Flash Dance shirt and leg warmers and sweat band and headed back for a real workout.  One that did not end with me giving up after 10 minutes to go pour myself a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles.

Now, the Old Lady Gym wasn't restricted to just the 80 and over crowd but it was restrict to just women. So I haven't worked out with men in a while which means that I had forgotten one important aspect of it:  Men are weight hogs.  I could barely find a free set or machine to work with.  And they like to make big shows out of it with lots of grunting and veins bulging out of their beet-red faces. I imagine a hernia is a badge of honor for them.  Gone are the days of the Old Lady Gym where the weight room was more like a living room with uncomfortable furniture.  The elderly would gather around and gab about the cruises they'd been on and what nonsense their grandkids were up to while occasionally hoisting a 2 pound weight above their head.  I'll miss those gals.  I'll miss always being able to get on the leg press machine and listening to them shoot the breeze about support hose.  But I'm sure there's plenty of entertainment at the new place.  I mean, while certainly not anything to laugh out loud over, there is something inherently funny about a hernia.

4 comments:

Chris said...

No more Catwoman????? I'm going to miss her.

Rach said...

Tim is one of those weight hogs. I know because he comes home and tells me how heavy the weights were every day.

colleeeen said...

I really should do weights, but the men are exactly why I don't venture near that section. The macho-ness is like a natural repellant that keeps me safely tucked away in the cardio section.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

Zumba baby. Do it and write about it. Shake it girl.