Friday, January 11, 2013

I put on a parka just to look at the pictures

1.  This slide show about people hanging out in the snow and ice is FASCINATING to me.  Because, as you know, I have IWP (Inclement Weather Paralysis - inclement being any weather that is not sunny skies with a temperature between 60 and 90.) Seeing people frolicking in the frozen tundra, or ice fishing (Gah!  Can you think of anything worse?  You're fishing AND you're cold.), or running into a lake wearing just a speedo, or doing Korean boot camp, well, it's mystifying.  How can you go out in weather like that? Weather that is so cold your bangs freeze. I already have enough problems with my bangs! Although, that picture of the ice sled conga line on the frozen lake in Beijing is adorable.

2.  One of the dangers of teaching seminary to a class containing several 14 year old girls is that if you happen to use the phrase "one direction" in a sentence, they go bananas.  I mean total bonkers! And you're left standing there wondering why are they screaming when you're talking about really spiritual stuff? It's a good thing I love them.

3.  I saw a man thumbing for a ride yesterday and a WOMAN STOPPED AND LET HIM IN HER CAR!  I pray that this was her husband.  That his car broke down and he called her and said, "Come get me, please." and she was all, "OK, I just have to finish up this paperwork." And he was all, "That's fine, I'll try to hitch a ride." And she was like, "Don't do that!  It's dangerous!  Think of the kids!" And he was like, "But it's cold and I'm hungry." Exasperated, she rushed out of the office and left the paperwork for later and drove off, muttering, "What does he think this is, the 1930s?  You can't just hop in some stranger's car hoping they don't murder you.  Because we all know that only murderers pick up hitchhikers."  Thank goodness she came when she did. 

3 comments:

Andrea said...

When I was in high school, a kid from my ward picked up a hitch hiker. A few days later, that same kid saw a news report about a murder suspect who happened to be the same man he picked up. It just so turned out it was a murder case my dad was investigating. My dad had to interview the kid for the case. True story. I learned my lesson to never pick up a hitch hiker!

Rach said...

Tim used to pick up hitchhikers in his single days. He even let one sleep on his couch one time. One of his pairs of sunglasses is a knock-off pair of Guccis that the couch-sleeper accidentally left in his car. I put the kibosh on the rides to strangers once we got married. I'm just amazed he made it to 27 without being cut into tiny pieces and scattered across Wyoming.

I admit I enjoy a song by One Direction. But I don't squeal. I do nerd mom dancing. My kids don't know to be embarrassed by me yet.

I think it's hilarious that you looked at pictures of people being cold. I don't know why it's funny, but it is. I'll have to send you a picture of me sitting in my house, wearing 2 pairs of socks and 5 layers, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket. I'm not as cute as a Chinese ice fisher, though.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea what one direction meant beyond one of the typical 4. And if you find any battered female remains near your dumpster, you'll know that the wife said something to anger her otherwise totally harmless hitchhiker husband...