Sunday, January 27, 2013

"This fantastic peach"

It was raining on Saturday morning and I had a cold and I was struck with the urge to read James and the Giant Peach.  So I did.  It's not like I'm going to clean my bathroom when it's raining outside.  You know how helpless I am in such conditions.  So I nestled in my bed and read.  And when I came to a certain passage I started reading it out loud.  Because it's just such zippy writing and I do this from time to time - read out loud. And then it hit me - I used to do the exact same thing as a kid.  I would read James and the Giant Peach out loud to myself. And I would do it often.  I would find certain sections of the story and read them out loud.  For months after finishing it the first time I would do this. Because I loved the way the words sounded. I had completely forgotten that I even did that until I came across the part in the book that I liked so much.

And it kills me how cute that is. I mean, really.

Do you ever wish that you could go back in time and meet up with Younger You and say, "You are going to make some really dumb decisions in your life, mostly because you don't know who you are yet.  And that's fine.  You'll have plenty of time to figure things out.  But this, right here, what you're doing now...this is rad. This is who you are."

2 comments:

Rach said...

That is adorable. And there are many times I think back on my life and wish I could go back in time and tell myself things. (Like when I was 19 and thinking life was over. I could have told myself to focus on my fantastic roommates and how great my friends were.) Also, I love that book. I don't think I own it, and now I know what to buy next time I'm browsing Amazon.

Anonymous said...

How is it that whatever the precious phrase from James/Peach was didn't get written in this post? I NEED to know what it was, please.