Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pain is my future

For the last 6 weeks of nunchuck class we have been using foam ones (and here is where I gently point out that it is nunchucks. Not numchucks. I know you thought it was numchucks, but it is not. It's nuNchucks. I love you.) But last night the Sensei let us try out the wooden nunchucks and while they are actually easier to maneuver and make a more satisfying swooshing sound when you strike, I foresee a few problems. Such as:

1.) The incredible shooting pain of hitting myself with them
2.) Shattering an elbow
3.) My finger swelling to the size of a bratwurst after I banged it when attempting to do a catch behind my back
4.) Concussions
5.) Losing an eye
6.) Damaging my kidneys
7.) Killing a small child who happens to get in my way
8.) Knights of Columbus! The Pain!
9.) No, seriously, these things HURT.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Now that you've graduated to the real thing, could I borrow the foam ones? I'd like to give nunchucking a try. (Is nunchuck a verb or just a noun?)

Gina said...

Ditto. We want to use the nunchucks when we come during the Summer. and...I love you too. :)

Anonymous said...

now wait a minute. these ARE weapons, are they not? so, can i get an amen, is it all that SURPRISING that someone might get hurt?

i mean, i'm just askin.

The Katzbox said...

hahahahah.....what ennbee wrote....and I love you and everyone else that said numchucks too....or am I the only one?...

they sound like a snack, anyway....

Chris said...

I always thought they were numbchucks, too.

Liz the Poet said...

As a fellow nunchucker, I echo your concerns.

And, I'm really afraid that I'm going to do the behind-the-back-grab-thingy (What's the technical term?)and it's going to bounce off my back fat(which it does EVERY TIME)and hit me in head, causing me to pass out and lose control of my bowels.

This, of course,would scare all the children (and adults). And then I'd be known as the lady who knocked herself unconscious and peed her pants.

My nickname would be Pee Lady.

And I just don't know if I could be known as Pee Lady and still go to nunchuck class. (Probably not. Oh, the shame...)

Can you tell I've given this some thought?

Britny Hill said...

Wow...you are in a nuNchuck class...that rocks! I can't help but bust up imagining you doing that...please get video. A must.

Andrea said...

I'm trying to gain composure after reading this post and Liz's comment...it's not likely to happen anytime soon. The laugh lines on my face are multiplying and getting bigger every day. I blame you and your blog for that!

Rach said...

You are so brave, Rachel. So very brave. Using the wood ones sounds scary. But, having witnessed your awesome dance moves, I am confident that you will not only survive the use of the real deal, but you will excel at it. You will have abilities that even Napoleon Dynamite will envy. I would also like to see a video of you doing it. If you do that, I'll record myself doing plankjacks.