Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'm Sparkly Like a Great Big Sparkly Thing!

There is no doubt that I love sparkly things. My brooch collection attests to this. And it's a good thing I do love the sparkle because right now I am covered head to toe in GLITTER. I look like a disco ball! I've spent the morning getting our company Christmas cards ready to send out. They're lovely cards with a dove and holly leaves and about 2 lbs of glitter. Each time a card was moved, breathed on, looked at or thought of a flurry of glitter would swirl around the air and land on me. At first I would dust myself off after each card and then I realized I was fighting a losing battle. I just gave it to the glitter and now it is everywhere. On my lips, in my hair, on my jacket, my sweater, my jeans, my shoes, my socks. I just checked myself in the mirror and I have it all over my face, including my eyelashes. It is both annoying and kind of cheery. I am totally ready for a faerie ball or a rave.

I have yet to clean all the glitter off of the desk I did the cards on because, well, I found out yesterday that Chiquita decided it's time for us to move offices. We're moving to a much smaller place next door (sadly, not into the building the Congressman works in) and we're getting rid of that desk. I like to think that whoever gets it will be thrilled with the touch of sparkle we've left on it.

The move is all part of the Save Our Business plan we have going. We just got an inside scoop that our biggest client is going to be doing major lay-offs in January so we're moving to a cheaper place and I lose my monthly travel stipend and I have to take 2 furlough days a month until things pick back up. It's a bit of a bummer but there are some bright sides. 1.) I get my own bathroom in the new office. I can't tell you how happy this makes me. We share our current bathroom with an office full of women who regularly dump their ash trays in the trashcan and who don't wash their hands. Also, the janitor only cleans once every three days (are you throwing up yet) and we regularly run out of paper goods. It's like we're living in medieval times. 2.) I still have a job. Chiquita really felt horrible about all of this but it was either that or let me go and she didn't want to do that. Nice, huh? 3.) I can use my vacation days for the furlough days. Come to mama, three-day weekends!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I haven't even read your post yet, but I feel cheated that I opened it and there was no picture of you sparkling. Now, I'm off to read your post.

The Katzbox said...

I'm happy for you that you kept your job and that Chiquita is such a reasonable and kind person.

Sparkly eye lashes?...fabbo...

Your own bathroom AND 3-day-weekends? Puhleese girlfriend...you fell into the lucky pot!

Stephanie said...

Glitter makes me grumpy and happy at the same time. Just go and blow your nose - it's the only time your boogers will be dressed in their holiday best!

I'm happy that you still have a job. I think you need to figure out some vacations for those three-day weekends. It's amazing what an extra day can add to a vacation!

Kelly said...

Your title sounds familiar... Like it's a quote or something but I can't place it.

My favorite sparkly quote is in the movie 'The Secret of Nimh' when Dom Deluis, who plays the crazy black crow says to Mrs Brisby, "You have a sparkly!!! - I've always wanted a sparkly of my very own!" I say it whenever I can. Thanks for giving me that chance today.

Rach said...

Come to mama, 3-day trip to Utah! I'm glad you get to keep your job, because Chiquita seems like one of those bosses you'll always enjoy working for. Plus her name is Chiquita. And I'm glad to know you are still wearing glitter. Even if it was a bit involuntary.

Chris said...

#4 on your list: You won't have to worry about the awkwardness of the weird guy holding the door open for you.