Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Still Cold

1.) Still...freezing...in...office...send...help. The repair guy came and found me huddled in my chair with my hoodie zipped all the way up and my hood tightly secured around my head. He told me it needed some major repairs and had to get the approval from the building owner which means a few more days of this arctic chill. On my break I went outside and stood in the sunshine. There were pools of ice in the shade. If I wanted to live in a place that had ice I would move to Switzerland where I could at least count on finding an excellent cup of hot chocolate and could reasonable get away with wearing one of those really large fur hats.

2.) Guess what I found last night. My missing address book. And guess where it was? THE LOWER CUBBY OF MY DESK RIGHT BY MY DICTIONARY! WHICH IS EXACTLY WHERE I ALWAYS PUT IT BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE IT BELONGS!! THE PLACE WHERE I LOOKED A DOZEN TIMES AND IT WASN'T THERE!!!!!!! For months I looked for it. I would sit at my desk and peer into the place it was suppose to be and wonder where it had gone off to. As predicted, I purchased a new one and hunted down everyone's address again and filled it all up and last night I went to put the new one where it belongs and there wasn't any room so I reached in and pulled out the old one. The old one that wasn't there 2 weeks ago. It is a mystery and I would like for someone to please explain it because I think I may be going a little bonkers.

3.) Katie and I decorated our wee apartment for Christmas last night and, as per tradition, we watched White Christmas. Which reminded me that over Thanksgiving I was down at my parents house helping them with their Christmas decorating, and we were, of course, watching White Christmas and when The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing came on my brother-in-law Chris, who is a DANCE INSTRUCTOR, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!, says, "This is the most boring part of the movie." And a stunned silence fell over the room. Because everybody knows that it's a GREAT part of the movie. And everybody also knows that the most boring part of the movie is Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep. Duh, Chris! It's a good thing you're likable and can reach the top shelves in the kitchen.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I can't believe Chris would think that is the most boring part of White Christmas! The most boring is by far the sheep song with a close second going to Rosemary singing "Love you didn't do right by me". And the choreography dance number was always the weirdest part of the movie for me, but I am always so fascinated with how many times in a row Vera Ellen could tap her foot!

Rach said...

I think I need to see White Christmas again. It's been a long time.

Your address book was probably just on a little trip to visit my favorite pair of socks in the Bermuda Triangle.

Gina said...

ah hem...There are no boring parts in White Christmas.

The Katzbox said...

The best part of that movie is when Bill Murray says to Richard Dreyfuss, "..." wait...

Never mind....

Amy said...

Here, here Gina!! :-)

Chris said...

Please don't hate me. In my defense, I actually love the movie and I must have made the comment sarcastically. In fact I always sing that song around the house at Christmas time. I always feel really bad because that's the part of the movie that gets cut when they edit the movie to fit in the time allotted.

In case anyone needs further proof of my love for the movie, I actually paid $100 for a ticket to watch the show when it came to the Pantages Theater.

Valerie said...

I hate the "count your blessings instead of sheep" part. The only good thing about that bit is the sandwiches. It makes me hungry every time.

Wendy said...

You know what I can't get over in that movie? Vera Ellen's teeny tiny waist and little stick legs. Especially in the "Mandy" number when she wears the sparkly black leotard. She just does not look normal.

One year I wanted to watch that movie at Christmastime and Gina let me borrow her copy. For some reason it took me awhile to get back to her. At one point I thought I may have to call in the National Guard to coordinate a drop-off for the sake of our friendship. I think she was about to blacklist me for keeping it too long.

Gina said...

Wendy, I would never blacklist you. :)

Andrea said...

It's okay Chris, we'll let it slide this time. :)

Heather said...

Chris, I'll make you look WAY better. In fact, you're slip might be completely forgotten. Ready for it? Here goes:

...I've never actually seen White Christmas.
(And now I'm about to get blacklisted.)

rachelsaysso said...

Heather! No!

You, me, White Christmas, Friday night.

colleeeen said...

Have you seen Holiday Inn, the precursor to White Christmas? There's blackface. Painful, awkward blackface. I had a doozy of a time explaining that to the kids.