Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Flat Rachel's Summer of Fun

I did a mighty cleaning of my desk tonight.  It was to the point where I was moving stacks of papers from my desk to my bed and back again each day just to get to my computer.  That is a bit ridiculous, right?  Right. 

So I purged. 

And look who I found!!!

Flat Rachel!  Years and years and years ago my friends and I got together and made flat versions of ourselves to send out on grand adventures.  Inspired, natch, by Flat Stanley, who was flattened by a bulletin board and then shipped off in an envelope to visit a friend across the country.  His mom packed him a lunch for the trip and just put it in the envelope with him.  Clever. 

I clearly used creative license because my hair has never looked that luxurious.  Nor did I ever own a sweater like that.  And I'm not so much of a dork to wear my camera around my neck, unless it's for laughs.  Let's say that Flat Rachel is doing it for laughs and forgive her.  But I do own red shoes and ill-fitting jeans.  Also, don't you just love how Wee Chinese Rachel is looking over her shoulder.  No doubt whispering Secrets of the Orient in her ear.  And yes, I keep WCR up in that nook all the time.  I sometimes need reminding that I'm a happy person by nature and if that picture can't convince me then nothing can.

I think it may be time for Flat Rachel to have an adventure.  Any takers?  I'll mail her to you and you take her around the neighborhood to see the sights and document it, then you send her back and email me the pictures and I post the best ones right here and we can all live vicariously through you and your awesome life.  It doesn't matter if you live near or far, she is up for anything.  And the more the merrier.  This can be Flat Rachel's Summer of Fun. 

There are a few rules though.  1.)  You must promise to send her back.  2.)  And to do so in a timely manner.  None of this holding on to her for months business.  I say this because I have been known to do just that due to my fear of postal workers.  3.)  You must treat her as an out of town guest, meaning you must do something fun to entertain her, like go out to eat or to a museum or the beach.  I'm not saying you have to be extravagant, just a little creative.  I'm pretty sure you'll thank me for it later.

14 comments:

Mariah said...

I'll take her! Around the world in... we'll see how many days! I think I should be awarded this honour because it will give me an awesome reason to do something different, but more importantly, I CAN DRESS TO MATCH.

Rach said...

Send her my way! Last time she visited we took her to a BYU football game. This time she gets to go to more child-friendly activities, which are also super fun. There will probably be kickball games included (which are hysterical).

Anna said...

If Flat Rachel is interested in corn and cows, send her on to Nebraska! (Mid or late summer though, since we're moving and I'd hate for her to get lost in the shuffle.)

Stephanie said...

We would love to take her around the hot Arizona sun!

Valerie said...

Send her over, we'll only do real high brow things.

Andrea said...

You can totally send Flat Rachel out to AZ. She can help me paint. If that doesn't sound exciting then how about after we paint I take her Organ Stop Pizza for dinner?

Bronwyn James said...

Does Flat Rachel want to visit Africa this summer? I'd love to take her to the beach in Tunis, and perhaps down to the local market for some fruits, veggies, and sandals. The only thing is mailing would take some time. About two weeks each way, and then a week to visit. If you're willing to sacrifice the time I'd love to have her!

Heather said...

Oh, the things she'll see! I'm so excited for Flat Rachel's adventures.

The Katzbox said...

Well, I can't compete with Tunis, but I can offer Flat Rachel a trip to wine country (and beautiful photo ops) and to the best Root Beer Store on the globe where she will be photographed with all kinds of gourmet rootbeers. Perhaps you can laminate her so she'll be better prepared for travel. Can you copy her and laminate her, or will that ruin her integrity?

I'm willing and able to spend time with F.R. I'd love to be her hostess and guide! She may also see parts of "The Ohio" when I go there. Hmmmm, she may have quite the trip.

Laura said...

I'll take her too. Granted, Cerritos is not as exotic as an out of state place, but I probably could get her a trip to Bakersfield (tempting, I know)...and maybe even on to Texas if she behaves herself!

Chris said...

I can bring her to my dance class where she'll learn to cha cha and to tango. We're bedazzling costumes right now, so she might return with rhinestoned pants.

Camille said...

Oh, Chris that sounds so tempting. I might need to make a flat Camille

Katie said...

Wait a minute, Chris! You had Flat Katie for months, and did she get to dance? I don't think so. She may be making a return visit, just for the dancing.

The Katzbox said...

This is so interesting. My mother, sister and niece recently went on a Caribbean cruise with a photo of my head, cut out and photo ready. Complete strangers held it in front of them when they stood next to my family throughout their trip. Sometimes I was a guy. I'm even propped up on the table. I thought we were pretty original with this idea, but apparently not.

Oh Rachel....you ground breaker....