Monday, June 7, 2010

Veal Loaf

Last week at Camille's celebratory birthday dinner (Just prior to our Band of Brothers moment at the movies.  Save yourselves!), Lydia, who is Swiss and pregnant and therefore can get away with doing weird things, ordered liver and onions.  We all gave a collective "EWWWWWW".

And then some of us tried a piece.

I've had chopped liver before and I will say that it had the texture and taste of cat food.  Okay, so I don't know what cat food tastes like but that's how I imagine it.  It wasn't repulsive but I wouldn't sit down with a big bowl of it.  So I was not afraid to try the real deal - more curious.  Lydia cut me off a piece and piled the onions and bacon high and this time it tasted like cat food with onions and bacon.  Only chewier. 

And it reminded that the day before I had been strolling around downtown Upland and I went into an antique store and found an old cookbook:



















Inside they had an entire section dedicated to cooking Good Meals out of organs.

I'm not sure which sounds more unappetizing:  Tongue in Tomato Aspic or Veal Loaf

Weren't you devastated when you found out that sweetbreads aren't cinnamon rolls?  In my younger days I would have thought that Scalloped Sweetbreads were sticky buns with fluted edges.  Not what it really is - pancreas.

Raisin Stuffed Hearts just proves my theory that adding raisins to even the worst recipe makes it sound even more disgusting.

7 comments:

Angela said...

/gag

/wretch

/heave

Laura said...

Another thing I find funny about this is that the fancy culinary term for cooking organs is "offal" which sounds remarkably like "awful"!

Rach said...

Ew. Ew. EW! My mom used to make us eat liver, because she loves it, but finally I think my dad put his foot down and we stopped having it. I've smelled tripe soup before, which was disgusting enough to never even consider tasting it. And the raisin thing is true. Especially when those raisins have been boiled. Gross.

Stephanie said...

I've had tongue tacos and they were divine. It proves that tacos have magical powers. I'm pretty sure I would eat anything if it was in a taco.

Curry or Loaf? Not so much.

colleeeen said...

I am such a hypocrite. I can't seem to give up meat, and I can't bring myself to eat all the parts of it so as not to be a wastrel.

Andrea said...

I sure hope after you tried the liver that you went driving around, found a fast food joint that wasn't out of ice cream, and downed a chocolate shake! I'm afraid if it was me who tried liver I would have had to down 3 or 4 chocolate shakes to get the taste out of my mouth.

The Katzbox said...

Pancreas? Hearts? Once again, I think this illustrates my point that the first person to eat a pancreas was.... HUNGRY!!!!