Tuesday, April 2, 2013

When do I get to be that old?

Today would have been my Grandpa Knecht's 92 birthday.  It made me think about the last birthday we spent with him.  We brought him Taco Bell nachos, a Pepsi, and chocolate silk pie and we ate dinner in his hospital room.  He was happy and talkative until he started eating his pie and then he started taking things seriously.  Someone asked him a question and without even looking up he said, "Don't bother me. I'm busy."  The man loved his dessert.  Sometimes when we would go out to eat he would just order a giant sundae.  If anyone questioned him he would simply say, "What?  I'm old.  I get to eat ice cream for dinner if I want to."  Fair point.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, I wanted to go to TB yesterday in honor of the big man. But alas, I had other responsibilities. Don't worry, though. There is TB in my future today. #5 with a Pepsi, please. Let's just say I'm doing it for "Lopez, over there."

Laura said...

This man was a genius! Is 39 (almost 40) too young to eat ice cream for dinner if I want?

Rach said...

He sounds like a great man. And I think any age past 35 should count, right? My justification is that I had to eat my green beans for 18 years, and I'm definitely a grown-up now, so yes, please. I'll have a sundae for dinner.

Camille said...

I put my hand over my heart when I drove past a taco bell yesterday. Love that man!