Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Reply

I sent my letter to the Hershey Company about the nasty banana Reese's peanut butter cup and here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company.

Your comments about REESE'S Limited Edition Banana Crème Peanut Butter Cups are important. Our goal is to develop products, promotions, and advertising with widespread consumer appeal. It is disappointing to learn that your expectations were not met. Comments such as yours are valuable and provide input into future planning.

Your interest in our company is appreciated.

The fact that they used the word Crème makes me like it even less. It's like when developers call a place the shoppes instead of the mall.

This brings me to one of my pet peeves: misspelling words to be cute or quaint (or should I say cwaint) or using foreign or old spellings to seem more upper class. When I worked at the animal hospital there was a convenience store in the shopping center that sold really yummy sandwiches but I had a hard time going there because it was called Kountry Kwik Deli. I can not support that sort or thing.

This makes me want to send another letter to Hersheys

Dear Hersheys Company,

Using the word Crème makes me think that you're trying to be something you're clearly not, which is Lindt Chocolate. Lindt can get away with using crème, you cannot. Especially since the product you're using it on has Old Fat Vegas Elvis on the wrapper. It's common knowledge that I think that Old Fat Vegas Elvis is the best of all the Elvises, but he doesn't exactly scream class. Rhinestones and silk scarves and giant buckets of sweat, yes, but class, no.

Stick with Mr. Goodbar.

Sincerely, Rachel

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my gosh!! I too have that problem with spellings of stores. I hate that. No wonder kids in America have so many literacy issues!! There was a place in Texas (not sure if they have them here) one of those oil and lube places that you just drive right up to. It was called Kwik Kar. I went to Jiffy Lube instead.

Side note: the other thing that drives me nuts is when a store's name reflects a very specific type of product and then they don't live up to it. For instance, there's a store in TX called Just For Feet. And yet...they sold hats, t-shirts, workout clothes, etc. If they're going to be so adamant about "just for feet" then they need to go with it...shoes, socks, foot fungus cream, pedicure supplies, toe rings, etc. Should I write them a letter?

rachelsaysso said...

Yes! Write a letter. You'll feel so much better.

Mike C. said...

Oh, how I miss the days of yesteryear when a stand-up band like Motley Crue can use those two little dots with reckless abandon and spell "crew" however the hell they want to withought some young upstart like yourself lurking around the corning screaming foul. Yes, those were good times, my friend, good times.

I'm Lisa's friend! :)