Monday, February 9, 2009

Lifted

What's that? A Barnes and Noble bag with books inside?














Does this mean the Book Buying Moratorium has been lifted?

Yes.

Happy Rachel.
















Want to know what I bought? This and this. That first one, The Solace of Leaving Early, is a perfect example of why I love to own a book. Because sometimes you love a book enough to want to re-read it, even if it's just a favorite-parts re-read. You can't do that with library books. You can't lend out a library book to a friend you know will love it. You can't write in a library book. You can't fold the corners over if you have misplaced your bookmark.

The year of not buying books has taught me that libraries are wonderful places. I've had a lot of fun going into bookstores and jotting down books that I want to read then checking them out from the library. But sometimes you need to have a book on your shelf so when friends come over and they say, "Have any good books to read?" you can place it in their hands instead of looking for a piece of paper to write down the name.

4 comments:

The Katzbox said...

I love Haven Kimmel...thanks for the heads up...I'm intrigued by your year moratorium on book buying and for goodness sake, we can't let the hubby know about it...yikes...let's let this be our secret...

NOTE TO "MY" EMMY; "Haven" is a very cool name....I'm just sayin'...

Rachel, you are a bibliophile...embrace it, own it, well, I guess you already have...ain't it grand?...on-line reading gadgets are all well and fine, but I need the heft and waft of a good book, the texture, the "all" of it...

Great post, once again....

Rach said...

Congrats on making through the year. Very good job. And now I really need to read "The Solace of Leaving Early." You and Jenny have both raved about it, and I suppose that means I'll like it! First I need to get through the books I have on hold at the library, though. Wish me luck!

Jeanette said...

I love your hair color. It has been a while since I have seen you so it may not be a new look for you but way cute!

I miss being in the book club with you - that was the only time I ever bought books! Just because I bought it didn't mean I read it either.

The one book that I truly loved while in the book club was The secret life of bees. Did you watch the movie?

Liz the Poet said...

Yay for the end of the moritorium!

And if you need a book buying buddy, please give me a call! I'd love to wonder around for hours, picking up books and then showing them to you, and then you saying "Oh, I love that one!" etc.