Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Lip Balm Addiction. I am not ashamed.

How long does it take you to go through a tube of lip balm? 

Me?  One month.  Which I did not think was excessive (mostly because when I lived in Utah it was more like 2 weeks) until I asked my dad how long it took him and he said 6 months...maybe longer.  And everyone in my family nodded their heads and said, "That's about right." Like they were monks who had taken a vow of chapped lips.

My lips have always been very prone to chapping.  Most childhood pictures of me include the tell-tale red ring around my mouth, thus making me look like a freckled Chinese toddler who has escaped from clown school.  And that one tube has a lot of territory to cover - my lips are not demure.  And I like a lot of coverage. But six months?  Is there some kind of ration going on that I didn't know about?

Just writing about lip balm rationing makes me want to stick my lips in a jar of Vaseline. 

Also, what is your preferred balm?  I am a Burt's Bees girl.  Ever since Chapstick changed their formula, which they refused to own up to when I harassed them by phone even though I could smell that it was different and it made my lips break out in cold sores, thus making me look less like a clown school escapee and more like a woman of the night. You're really going to go against my nose and my many, many years of faithful usage, Chapstick?  Really?

(Side note:  Happy 700th post everyone!)

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Totally Burt Bee's and ONLY that! I have like 3 tubes EVERYWHERE (in my car, by my bed, by my cell phone, in my purse) so I probably would go through a tube a week, BUT have so many stocked everywhere I don't know...

Ella and I are the same as you though, clown mouths...so I GOT'S too!

Andrea said...

I have to have lip balm with me anywhere I go. I can't stand to have dry lips! During the day I use chapstick, lip gloss, or whatever else but at night it's got to be the little white tube of medicated blistex. I've coated my lips every night with that stuff for years. It's the only thing that lasts me through the night.

B said...

Lip balm is amazing! I recently discovered Jouer Lip Enhancer and love it to bits. It's like a gloss and a balm all in one.

Tammy said...

oh Rachel you are hilarious , I was sitting here laughing out load and Ryan said " what are you doing reading Rachels blog?" , yes I am !

My favorite lip blam is NIVEA it is silky smooth

Erin said...

I'm a Natural Ice girl (cherry flavor, thank-you-very-much). I'm not only a seventeen-times-a-day chapstick user, I'm a chapstick hoarder. I can't find the Natural Ice in the stores anymore, so I have to buy it online! How sick is it that I can't just switch to another brand?

I've been this way since I was approximately 14 and when I didn't have pockets, I stuck the chapstick in the side of my bra so I'd always have some. Ok, fine. I still do that.

Chapstick also gives me blisters on my lips.

Rach said...

I keep lip balm in every purse and diaper bag and church bag (there are several). I haven't really been faithful to one brand, but I haven't used Chapstick brand for a long time. I wonder if I would break out in blisters, too. I like Natural Ice and Nivea. If Carmex didn't taste and smell like a chemical plant I'd totally use it, because it makes my lips so smoothy smooth. Because I have multiple tubes, I have no idea how long it takes to use up one.

Anonymous said...

Blistex Lip Revitalizer. I bought an entire carton of the stuff online because they don't sell it in stores anymore.

Angela said...

This post is all kinds of funny.

And I hate to say it, but 6 months is about right, by me. Combine that with me not using the hairdryer, and there you have it -- I'm a hair-dripping dry-lipped monster.

Eep.

Valerie said...

Bert's Bees.

And you know that pin on pinterest, where they say that anyone who can keep track of a tube of chapstick until it's used up deserves a reward? I don't get it. I keep very, very, very good track of my chapstick, and regularly throw out empty tubes. That burt's bees does not come cheap, and I need every bit of it. Who are these millionares who can just lose track of theirs?

rachelsaysso said...

I am glad to see I am not alone in this.

And Val, I could not agree more. I use one tube at a time and I know where it is AT ALL TIMES. I use it until the plastic rim is scratching against my lips. And then I have one in my emergency backpack because heaven help us all if there is an earthquake and I have to rush out in the middle of the night and I do not have lip balm on me.

Ninja Goose said...

Maddie Bird(Upland 2nd ward, beehive)here: I love your blog, Sister Knecht! it's hilarious :)
I use Rose Salve, believe it or not.
It works wonders and you can use it for softening your cuticles and dry elbows too :0