Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Grout

The kitchen floor got mopped today because I was in a cleaning mood...okay, and it needed it.

And then it got mopped a second time because just a few short hours after I mopped it I spilled half a can of cocoa powder all over it.  I managed to sweep up what I could but then there was the problem of the grout.  We have the deepest grout ever invented by man (I believe because men don't often mop and they don't think of the repercussions of deep grout).  It is the Grand Canyon of grout.  You need a mule train just to get down in it. Regularly Katie or I can be seen shaking our fists at it while crying out, "GROOOOUUUUTTTT!!!" 

So it's deep and the cocoa had settled in quite nicely.  I tried a damp cloth to pick it up, which only made cocoa paste.  And then I tried the vacuum, but because it's so fine and powdery it just blew all over the place.  Which, let's be honest, is a bit of a fantasy, right?  Cocoa powder swirling around your feet seems like a glorious dream...if you were living in the Wonka Factory.  It is not so much when you're trying to get it out of the GROOOOOOOUUUUUUUUTTTT.  I decided I would just leave it there because, well, it smelled really good and it sort of blended in, so I Swiffered it to pick up what was left and lo, a miracle occurred.  The narrow edge of the Swiffer was the exact size of the grout and picked it up like a champ.  Huzzah!  The cocoa powder was gone but the chocolately smell still remained.  Also, my slippers smell like chocolate from all the swirling. 

2 comments:

Rach said...

Note to self: Edge of Swiffer for deep grout. Got it. I want to live in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Tessy said...

Would a Swiffer pick up spilt toner from a printer that I was so LUCKY to have spilt on my newly mopped kitchen floor? It took two more mops and a replacement mop head for this miracle clean up to happen! And I didn't even get to have a remaining chocolatey smell! What a rip! haha