Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It Was a Good Day at the Fair

I missed the LA County Fair last year because I was busy being hit on by Tunisian date farmers.  An experience I would not have passed up, so it's no complaint.  But while Tunisia does have an abundance of men offering you 300 camels to stay in the Sahara with them, it does not have many deep-fried things on sticks.  So I was understandably eager to return this year.

1.)  There was an entire display in the student arts & science exhibit of famous scientists made out of felt.  And suddenly I did not feel so alone in the world.

Ben Franklin
Jane Goodall

Edward Scissorhands


2.  I don't gamble, but were I to start it would be on horses.  I LOVE watching a horse race.  And not just because it reminds me of the Ascot scene in My Fair Lady (Definitely one of my all time favorite movie scenes.  Ever.)  It's just so exciting to pick a horse - based almost exclusively on how pretty I think it is - and cheer it on.



3.  The majority of the stuff you can buy at the fair is pretty dumb.  Like this toilet paper holder.


Friends, If I see this in your home I will be so embarrassed for you that I won't be able to look you in the eye ever again. 

But if I see that you have purchased this:



as we did, then I will think you the smartest of all people.  A slushy maker!  And it really works!  You put your chosen beverage in the cup with the special ice cubes and shake and in a minute you have a slushy!  It is, as the sign says, magic.

4.  My dream of all fair dreams is to win 1st prize for jam.  Not that I'm an exceptional jam maker.  I make strawberry jam every year and it turns out fine but I feel like one of these times something magical will happen and I'll make a sensational batch and that blue ribbon will be mine.


5.  Let's face it, if it weren't for fair food the place wouldn't be nearly as charming.  The only problem is that there are so many options you don't know where to start.  Here's the trick, get one of everything and share.  We had the usual, chocolate milk, corn dog, bloomin' onion, funnel cake, ice cream, but we also tried something new - the Potato Tornado:



A potato on a stick, deep fried and covered in a suspicious, yet delicious, powdery substance.  Winner.

6.  And finally, a tip:  DON'T RIDE THE RIDES!



You guys!  That is a ROLLER COASTER ON STACKS OF WOOD!!!!  No doubt set up by some 17 year old carnie making minimum wage with an acne problem that is only slightly less worse than his marijuana problem.  We could have tossed our stick from the Potato Tornado at it and the whole thing would have crumbled.

10 comments:

Maija said...

I'm a wee bit behind in my blog reading, but this post and your Christmas felt one inspired me. I may need to order an Edward Scissorhand bookmark and/or laptop case from you at some point.

Maija said...

Hahaha. I just saw the date. I retract my "behind" statement. I am on top of my blog reading (okay, only yours), but am currently delirious from lack of sleep. I do not retract my possible future felt request statement, however.

Bronwyn James said...

This is the most I've laughed at a blog posting since your post about the bobble-muscle-men in your car and Ruby St. Germaine. Don't worry, I've laughed at plenty more along the way, but this one was exceptionally good. And I have decided this. Next year, you and me and your funniest friends and family, L.A. Fair, fried potato tornado on a stick, and a new slushee machine for me. Put on your calendar, and don't bother using pencil. I'll be there.

Laura said...

The day was wonderful, for sure. I'm still not sure how Edward Scissorhands wound up as a famous scientist. I also recall that Tinkerbelle was represented in felt - also not sure how she qualifies as a famous scientist.

As for Slushy Magic...not so magical for me so far. I've made two drinks, chocolate milk being one of them and it wasn't super slushy, just really cold with a couple of bits of ice in it. And I've figure out that you can really only put about a cup of liquid in there. Perhaps because both of my tries have been milk-based drinks, it's not as successful. We're going to try something else next!

Stephanie said...

I grew up thinking that every fair was as wonderful as LA County. Alas - I have been to fairs that would only qualify as a "fair" because of the stench of livestock.

LA County must have some kind of magic. Frozen lemonade, fried twinkies, funnel cakes. That potato tornado sounds divine.

That being said, I was always a sucker for the hammocks - I was never swayed by the spas.

We're going to have to go next year.

samandholly said...

My rule re: rides is "Never go on a ride that can go on the freeway on the back of a truck!"

Cynde said...

Ahhh, the fair. It is a luverly thing. I'm glad you had a great time. And, really truly...the Ascot Race scene is one of the best movie scenes ever!

If you go again...please have a chocolate milk for me. (0:

Rach said...

Every time you post about the LA County fair it makes me want to hop in my car and drive to California so we can share some fried foods on a stick and laugh at toilet paper holders. I have strongly considered buying myself a slushee maker, and I just might give in next time I walk by one.

Liz the Poet said...

Fair + Funny Friends + Fried Foods = Fabulously Fantastic Fun!

(Alliteratively annoying anyone?)

Anyway…

I'm so glad I ditched work and went to the fair with you!

So many hilarious memories… and a wonderful cd mix from Katie. I couldn’t ask for anything more!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Tunisia was a year ago!!

And also... something relevant to this post.... erm....... Jam! Delicious.