Wednesday, December 12, 2007

And now I can say I gave it a shot...which is more than the players did.

Last night I did something I never do. I watched part of a basketball game. I don't like basketball. I like every other sport but basketball. I'll watch any other sport but basketball. (True story: On Sunday I was down at the fam's and we actually watched bowling. Mostly for laughs, but you understand.) But I thought, my tastes have changed over the years and I have discovered that things I thought I didn't like are actually pretty enjoyable. Like oatmeal and Dickens. So, the Clippers were on and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Nope. My tastes have not changed that much. Because here's what basketball is:

Throw in, dribble twice, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shot, miss, rebound, foul, throw in, dribble twice to the other side, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, go for the hoop, miss, foul, free throw. Dribble, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shoot, score, dribble, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, foul. Repeat. Near the end it's more like pass, foul, pass, foul, time out, pass, foul, time out, pass, pass, foul, foul, foul, foul, time out.

I lasted about15 minutes. Basketball is essentially freakishly tall people playing keep-away.

4 comments:

Ms. Liz said...

Oh honey - thats because you were watching the Clippers. That just ususally just Keep Away with a peacock strut once in a while. I'm so sorry that was your sample of the glorious world of the NBA

Amanda said...

It is a better sport than fishing though, or as I call it Waiting.

Chris said...

I used to be a basketball fan when John Stockton played for the Jazz. I think I took some guilty pleasure in seeing a 35 year old guy kicking the butts of all the young 21 year olds.

Anonymous said...

I was a Jazz fan, too, before Stockton retired and Karl Malone sold out to the Lakers. Now I sort of feel like you, Rachel. Bleh.