Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Mother's Day Miracle

You will not believe what I did today.  It's the one thing that I dread someone doing to me and there I was doing it to someone else.  I sat down next to a friend and asked, "How are you?" and she started to cry.  And then I started to cry.  And then we had a nice cry together.  But it really started the waterworks for both of us. Although, to be honest, it had already been a bit of a weeper.  And not for any of the usual reasons that childless Mormon women cry at church on Mother's Day. There was just so much sweetness and love at church today. It's hard to keep it together when you're up against people being so wonderful.

On that note of Mother's Day at church:  we had a real breakthrough today.  You know how a lot of times they make the women stand up at the end of Sacrament meeting and pass out flowers to them?  And how it's always a little awkward?  And I'm not going to lie, sometimes even more awkward for those of us without kids?  I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, I really do.  And I'm grateful for any generous thought.  But it's just a little awkward sometimes.  So imagine how nice it was today to find out that there would be no standing and waiting for your flower but instead the men would be taking over the last hour so all the women could be together to eat cheese cake and laugh and cry and gab.  That is a happy Mother's Day indeed.

8 comments:

Rach said...

That's genius. That's what we all really want, right? Cheesecake and chatting? I want to suggest it to our ward, but we have Sacrament meeting last, and I'm pretty sure they know if we skip Relief Society, which is first, they'll never be able to herd us into Sunday School or Sacrament Meeting. That's a fact. Which is yet another reason we should get on board with the rest of the world and do things in the right order. Also, I'm glad your ward is awesome.

Andrea said...

I'm glad you had a good day and I love the cheesecake idea. Our ward did the standing up thing, and I hate that. I ran out of there as fast as I could, even though they were passing out See's chocolate. That's how much I hate awkward situations!

Wendy said...

My mom was telling me that in her ward the men take over third hour as well so all the women can be in Relief Society. I think that's a great idea. A couple of year ago our ward passed out booklets of a talk for mother's day. It did not go over well and they have not lived it down. In an attempt to redeem themselves this year they handed out a flower AND chocolate. Having someone take over the whole Primary for me would have been more of a treat though

Amy said...

We had the cheesecake in the kitchen also and it was brilliant. I have never seen the women so happy. ;)

Amy said...

We had the cheesecake in the kitchen also and it was brilliant. I have never seen the women so happy. ;)

Stephanie said...

I love the cheesecake idea - what a wonderful ward you have! It is awkward even for those of us with children - there is a tender place in my heart for those who have a hard time on Mother's Day. What a blessing it would be to have that beautiful act of service go out to all women, not just mothers. I did get chocolate - and it was sweet and generous - but I love your ward's sentiment better.

Jinky said...

They did that in our ward too (served apple pie/carrot cake) ..but for last 20min. They covered all the classes ..even Primary! --Our Bishop also did something else special ..he asked the congregation & gave small bouquet of flowers for the mom with the most kids; oldest kids; most grandkids; and oldest. It was nice to recognize the elder mothers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the special day.

sarahgurl said...

We had a cheesecake/chatting party the entire 3rd hour delivered on trays by our bishopric in our Murrieta ward. It was the BEST! This year as we walked out of the chapel after Sac mtg we were handed a tin of ALTOIDS by a teenage boy. Seriously? breath mints?