Thursday, May 23, 2013

Year 1

Seminary ends tomorrow.  Can you believe it?  I can't.  It's gone by so fast.  Even the time after spring break, which everyone warned me would be long and arduous because of a big lack of holidays, has just flown by.

And I have to say my heart is breaking a little. 

Am I going to love sleeping in all the way to 7?  You bet.  Am I going to revel in not preparing a lesson every single night.  Absolutely. (Welcome back, Leisure Reading Time!!!!) Am I going to miss telling my kids, again, to put away their cell phones and stop talking, please, seriously, why are you still talking?  No.

But am I going to miss seeing their faces every morning?  Like crazy. Ugh, I can't even talk about it without welling up.  They're the best class.  So eager and bright and funny.  They make comments and participate and willingly go along with anything I suggest. And there have been more and more moments where I see them really get it, like I haven't been babbling in front of them for naught.  This has certainly been the most challenging thing I've ever done in church but it's also been the greatest. 

One song we sing kind of often is "Who's On the Lord's Side", because it's awesome and essentially a sea shanty.  And naturally I do a little sailor dance whenever we sing it.  I must.  After class today a bunch of kids stood around and said, "This is how we'll always remember you," and started doing the sailor dance.  And I thought, yes.  I already know their testimonies are solid, so if they leave with a love of God and few dance moves, then my job is done.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Whenever that hymn is played at church I always think of you.

Congratulations on finishing your first year of seminary! Those kids were sure lucky to have you.

sarahgurl said...

That is definitely a sea side pub song. I always raise a glass and sway when I sing it

Rach said...

I wish you were my seminary teacher. Now, please please tell me you have introduced them to Scatter Sunshine. If not, there's always next year, right? Now when I sing "Who's on the Lord Side, Who?" I will do a little sailor jig in my seat. No one will notice because my kids already wiggle so much.