Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Salad of All Salads

I make this salad ALL THE TIME.  And many, many times I find myself standing next to the refrigerator and eating straight from the giant bowl I store it in. Like I'm in a frat house or something.

Greek Salad

2 cup uncooked orzo
2 cups tomatoes (I like grape tomatoes because you don't have to cut them)
1 cucumber, chopped
1 cup feta
a few chopped up mint leaves (this is optional but I have a mint plant so why not)
Other things if I have them on hand like chickpeas, pine nuts, those little frozen pre-cooked shrimp.

Dressing
Juice of 2 lemons - it should be about a 1/3 cup (I've also used lime juice or a mix of both in a pinch and it works)
2-3 T honey
1 clove of garlic (very finely chopped)
1/2 cup olive oil
salt & pepper

While the orzo is cooking get the rest of the ingredients ready (chop cucumbers and mint, defrost shrimp, toast pine nuts, mash up your garlic) and throw it all in a big bowl.  Put all your dressing ingredients in a blender (or use an emersion blender, or a whisk) and mix them all up until it looks dressing-y. Taste it.  If you think it needs more of something then add that in.  It's not rocket science. Sometimes I'll end up with really juicy lemons.  Sometimes I'll overshoot the honey.  It always ends up tasting great.  Drain the orzo and let it cool or rinse it if you're in a hurry (I know, you're never supposed to rinse pasta.  But whatever.) and mix everything together.  There should be more dressing than you feel comfortable with because eventually all that pasta will soak it up.  You'll be grateful you put so much in when you're eating out of the bowl the next day.

Note:  you don't have to use orzo, I suppose you could use whatever pasta you want but if you use bigger pasta you'll need more dressing.

1 comment:

Rach said...

I'm buying the ingredients for this tomorrow.