Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I'll call it a wash

Today was a bust.  I started out late for seminary training because there was an accident on the freeway which caused horrendous traffic.  If you're late at 8 am when there's supposed to be traffic that's one thing but when you're late for something that you had to wake up at 4:45 for, that's an entirely different headache.  The whole way in I kept thinking how much I wish I had been late because I over slept because then at least I would have gotten some extra sleep out of it.

And then the whole day was just off. Nothing particularly bad, I just couldn't get a grip on it. I was lacking my usual energy, enthusiasm, and focus. I tried working out this afternoon and got about 5 sit ups in before bagging it.  I tried reading A Wrinkle In Time because book club is tomorrow and I need to finish it but I didn't go further than a couple of pages. I did manage to put a load of laundry in. And I called Flo to rat out our upstairs neighbors for cutting a hole in their screen, out of which they dump the occasional candy wrapper, cups full of soda, and, I'm almost certain, drug residue. But possibly getting a family evicted because of their idiot son didn't make me feel any better.

And then, just when I was about to throw the towel in and put on some stretchy pants and eat a bowl of cereal for dinner, my friend Kelsie knocked at the door.  She had mint brownies.  Like an angel from heaven.  And then she stayed and talked for a few hours.  And a little while later her husband showed up to visit and installed our Roku box (that's right, we dumped cable.  Because they refused to lower the price. That is until today when Katie called to cancel and then they said, "Oh, but wait, it looks like you're eligible for a discount."  Eat my shorts, Direct TV!) and then he forgave me for beating his team in the Amazing Race (his was the one that came in before us.)  And then he left and more friends showed up to take Katie's old bed off her hands.  And they stayed and visited and everything was feeling right with the world again.  Friends do that. The day was looking up.

And then I went to go get my laundry from the laundry room and found the door locked because it was after 10.  Sigh.

The bulk of this day can also eat my shorts.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Three cheers for friends with brownies. And three boos for locked laundry rooms. We ditched our dish as well, and now have a roku as well. I can still watch my stuff on hulu and netflix, and now I have extra money for shoes! I hope today is a better day.

Kari said...

The prospect of new shoes makes everything seem better.